Thursday 25 December 2014

6 months: Going Strong!

Warm greetings and blessed Christmas to one and all! 

Last Saturday, I popped by the clinic for my 6 months post-op review with the two funny surgeons. So far so good - swellings down, bones strong - and my jaw is as good as new! Thank God for seeing me through this entire ordeal - especially with the food. Since the surgery, I've shared with the people around me how much of a blessing it is to have good appetite, or even be able to swallow for that matter. They are smallest things we take for granted, but the most significant when you lose them, aren't they?

There's still quite a bit of asymmetry left in my jaws, but if you compared how I was then and now, that asymmetry is really almost nothing. During the last visit at 3 months post-op, one of the surgeons briefly proposed a second surgery to correct the asymmetry. I wasn't too keen on it then. When it was brought up formally during this review, I think I was even more disinterested in this follow up surgery. 

Honestly speaking, I can only say that I'm about 90 percent satisfied with how everything turned out (on a general basis); the last 10 percent due to the asymmetry. Being an artist myself, I feel rather peeved when I see imperfections. That being said, I'm not seeking the symmetrical perfections generated by machine, but symmetrical perfections generated by visual compositions - you know what I mean? It's definitely weird to have your face perfectly symmetrical (alien to say the least!). Seeing and knowing that it would be entirely for aesthetic's sake, coupled with the surgery cost and recovery period (your gums are going to get sliced again after all), I was reaaaaaaaallly not keen at all. (although, I MAY CONSIDER if only the cost is not from our pockets haha, but fat hope, girl). Whatever it is, after giving it serious thought, I'm not going to do the second surgery. 

On a side note, has anyone been amazed at how their post-op bite is? It's so amazing it's almost magical! I can't help wonder in shock when I nibble on a biscuit or bite through bread, and the line is clean and cut off in one bite! Even now!  *O*  So proud of my decision to do the surgery *pat pat* :DD

No comments:

Post a Comment