Monday 21 July 2014

Day 28: Another food entry

Hello hello!

I'm at four weeks now! Wheehee! And I can use a spoon now! Double wheehee! 

To celebrate that (I think, haha), my dad cooked some kuay teow fish soup. Mmmm delish! And since my jaw is beginning to be able to open slightly wider, I'm permanently eating with a spoon now! Ohh.

I need a moment to take in this memorable accomplishment. *teary eyed*

My four-week mark trophy: kuay teow fish soup cut in small pieces, with some potato and veggie bits

Okay, back.

Yesterday, I whipped up some mashed potatoes with an accompanying Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup for dinner for sis and I. To which the house commented: Why so ang moh jiak (eat)? Hahaha but the mashie was really good and like many other food posts, I'm going to share it!

I initially got the idea from this website. However, upon seeing that I had lacked many of the even more "ang moh" ingredients, I decided to adapt it and add my own stuff. Here's a picture of the dinner to first entice you:

Day 27 dinner: Caramalised onion mashed potatoes & Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. YUM.
You'll need:
  • 1 russet potato (about the size of your hand)
  • ½ small onion, finely chopped (about 2 inches in diameter)
  • 30ml fresh milk
  • A knob of butter
  • ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
  • A dash of black pepper, to taste
Serves: 2
(too much and you'll feel juh-laht)

Step 1: Shave and dice the potato into large 1 inch cubes. Place it in a pot of room temperature water very slightly salted. Water level should be just covering the single layer of potatoes comfortably. Watch over the pot and gently stir over medium flame. When the water starts boiling, cover and reduce to small flame for about 15 minutes.

Step 2: Chop onions finely, but not too fine! You should still be able to see each piece in all solidness. Fry the onions till it caramalises.

Step 3: Potatoes should be done by now. Test it and it should be super soft when you poke it with a fork. Strain the water and throw it into a bowl with a knob of butter. Make use of the heat from the potato to melt the butter. Start mashing!

Step 4: Add the caramalised onions. Then, salt and pepper to taste.

Step 5: Once the mash is of a homogeneous mixture (it should be really thick and sticky), add in 30ml of fresh milk, a little at a time.

Step 6: Serve and enjoy your work of art in your most comfortable eating position. And then after that, return to the stove :p

You'll probably need more nutrition (fibre, protein, etc) than just the carbos... This meal was kind of impromptu because I suddenly had to settle my own dinner, so I had to make do with what I had. But, you need a balanced meal, ya.

I've not made mashed potatoes many times,  but this tasted the best so far (even my sis said so!). Do you have an interesting variant of mashies? Let me know! I'll be most glad to try it too! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment